Saturday, November 8, 2014

Quinoa Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm not sure if you've jumped on the quinoa bandwagon yet, but if not, it's about time you did! Lately Scott and I have been on a big health kick, and while I really enjoy it, a little bit of me cries inside for the sweets we used to eat. Okay, it's a little more than a cry. Anyways, back to the quinoa. It's a serious super food and is amazing for you. So, I've been experimenting with quinoa substitutions and recipes, and tonight, I hit ultimate perfection with quinoa dark chocolate cookies. YUM.

Not only do these actually taste like REAL cookies, but you don't have to feel guilty for scarfing down ten of them as soon as you pull them out of the oven. It's okay, we've all done it (Scott ate the first dozen out of the oven). But seriously, these puppies are packed full of protein!

I was skeptical of these at first too! The dough texture seemed strange and it definitely didn't smell like plain cookie dough, but trust me on this, you won't regret making these. In the end, these really did kick my craving for something sweet without ruining my healthy habits. Lucky for you, I've even included the recipe. ;)




Quinoa Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies 
_________________________________

Ingredients: 
  • 3/4 cup cooked quinoa 
  • 1/3 cup honey 
  • 1/2 cup almond milk 
  • 1 stick unsalted butter 
  • 3/4 cup coconut sugar 
  • 1 tsp sea salt 
  • 1 tsp baking soda 
  • 2 1/4 cups brown rice flour 
  • 1 cup semi sweet dark chocolate chips 
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Add cooked quinoa, honey, almond milk, butter, and coconut sugar in a food processor (I honestly just used our magic bullet, but you could also use a blender). Blend on high until thoroughly combined. 
  3. In a large bowl, combine blended mixture with remaining ingredients. Stir well. 
  4. Place 1.5 dough balls on a cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. 
  5. Devour!